Load brief history


BRIEF HISTORY

The history of the Region begins since the Stone Age. In the Region, archaeologists found the remains of Neolithic settlements.

In the 4th-3rd millennium BC the territory of Kirovohrad region was part of the Trypillian culture area, as well as associated Middle Eastern, Pit and Catacomb cultures.

In the 1st millennium BC, the territory of the region was inhabited by nomadic Scythian tribes, as well as sedentary tribes of the Chornoliska culture.

At the beginning of Common Era, Kirovohrad region belonged to the area where Slavic tribes were formed. In the 3rd-2nd centuries AD, the tribes of Chernyakhov culture, as well as nomadic tribes of Sarmatians, Huns, Avars and Bulgarians lived here.

In the 5th-8th centuries, the territory of the region was inhabited by Ulichs, who after a long war with the first rulers of Rus were forced to move to the interfluve of the Dniester and the Prut.

In the 9th-13th centuries, the territory of the future Kirovohrad region became home for Pechenegs, and later for Kipchaks - new nomadic tribes that came from the Volga and North Caucasian steppes.

In the 9th-13th centuries, the territory of the future Kirovohrad region became home for Pechenegs, and later for Kipchaks - new nomadic tribes that came from the Volga and North Caucasian steppes.

Between 1240 and 1362, the territory of our region was part of the dominions of the Golden Horde of Batu Khan's descendants. In 1362, the Battle of Blue Waters took place in the territory of the region, which became the beginning of the transition of these lands under the rule of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

In the 15th-17th centuries, the future Kirovohrad region belonged to the territory of the Cossack liberties and became part of the lands where the formation of the Ukrainian Cossackdom was taking place. Subsequently, the land was considered part of the Zaporozhian Cossack Army lands.

In 1752, New Serbia was officially established, and in 1754 the St. Elizabeth fortress was founded, which later became the city of Elisavetgrad. Originally the city belonged to Novorossiysk Governorate General, later it became the district centre of Mykolaiv, and then of Kherson province.With the abolition of military settlements in the middle of the 19th century, the city turned into a trade centre. In the last quarter of the 19th century industrial enterprises started developing; the largest enterprise of agricultural engineering was the Elworthy Factory (future "Chervona Zirka").

During this period, the city becomes an important centre of both classical and non-classical secondary education, as well as culture, in particular theatrical art.

In 1882, Marko Kropyvnytskyi created a professional Ukrainian theatrical group in the city.

In the times of the Ukrainian National Revolution, Volodymyr Vynnychenko, the native of the city, became Chairman of the first Government of the new Ukrainian state, and subsequently became one of the leaders of the Directorate, that led the uprising against Hetman Skoropadsky and German invaders. Examples of true heroism were shown during the struggle for the independence by the heroes of the Kanizh uprising and the Kholodny Yar Republic.

In the later history of the region, complex processes the socialist economy formation were taking place.

The region occupied one of the leading places in Ukraine for agricultural production. The enterprises of the region manufactured building materials, furniture, footwear; they mined brown coal, graphite and kaolin clay.

The development of agriculture has led to the production of agricultural machinery.

The years of World War II became a severe trial. Kirovohrad region lost 92.9 thousand people, 152.2 thousand died in defensive and offensive actions. More than 400 liberators of the region were awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.

Since August 24, 1991 Kirovohrad region is an integral part of independent Ukraine and develops cooperation in various spheres of activity with other countries of the world.

Since 2005, Kirovohrad region is a full member of the Assembly of European Regions, which brings together regions from 35 countries and 15 international organizations.

In order to attract investments into the regional economy, 7 memorandums were signed with foreign companies and public organizations regarding attraction of investments into the regional economy.

Four interregional agreements on cooperation with foreign countries and eight agreements on international cooperation were signed.

Interregional cooperation of Kirovohrad region with the Mogilev region of the Republic of Belarus, the Lower Silesia province of the Republic of Poland, the Federal State of Styria of the Republic of Austria, Braga City of the Portuguese Republic, Nitra Region of the Slovak Republic, Xuzhou City and Jiangsu Province of the People's Republic of China, Incheon City of the Republic of Korea is being developed within the framework of the signed agreements.

Over the years of Ukraine's independence, a number of new modern enterprises in the real sector of economy have been put into operation in the region.

Thus, in 2011-2016 new modern enterprises were built and put into operation, such as oil extraction plants of "HradOliya" and Hydrosend Ltd., an integrated facility for the processing of sunflower seeds "Agroproduct" Ltd., new facilities of "Victor i K" (TM) "Korolivskyi Smak"), modern enterprises of PJSC "Metallit", "Metservis Group", "Velta", a high-capacity Svitlovodsk River Terminal, and a number of modern elevators, vegetable storage facilities and livestock complexes. Solar and hydroelectric power plants have been built, a number of solar panel installations have been assembled, more than 30 companies have been created for the production of pellets.

Since 2013, the National Agricultural Exhibition with the field demonstration of machinery and technologies "AgroExpo" is held in the region, which in 2016 received the 'International Exhibition' status and is the largest exhibition in Ukraine.

In 2016, its area amounted to almost 90 thousand square meters, with more than 450 participating companies from many regions of Ukraine and foreign countries and over 20 thousand visitors. The Pokrovskyi Trade Fair is held as part of the exhibition.

A number of educational institutions of various accreditation levels operate in the regional centre, the best known being V.Vynnychenko Central Ukrainian State Pedagogical University, Central Ukrainian National Technical University, and Kirovohrad Flight Academy of the National Aviation University.

In 2016, the medical faculty of the Donetsk Medical University started working in the region, with 193 students from Ukraine and 251 foreigners, and 114 employees, including 58 members of research and teaching staff.

There is a wide network of cultural establishments in the region. 30 museums collect and safekeep the artifacts about the past and present of the region.

­